Wednesday 18 February 2009

Haircut 100

Ok, so not a new band to most people. But this is a band that came to my attention recently. The band formed in 1980 and broke up in 1984. A time where I was just one lucky sperm in my fathers' testicles. A time of great joy. I manage a band called apples and a few people had told me "Chris, they sound just like Haircut 100". I thought a) who calls a band Haircut 100 and b)what on earth could they sound like.

I downloaded a few tunes, watched a few videos and really could not believe I had never had the pleasure of hearing this band before. When I asked my parents if they were familiar with the band, they knew most of their songs, which left me slightly disgruntled that whilst they had given me lots of Queen, Tina Turner, Gary Glitter... (ok..) as a child (!), they had never given me Haircut 100.

I think their videos are fantastic. Last week I had the pleasure of meeting Mark Fox from the band who told me that even in the early 80s, their videos were costing £100,000. That is a lot. Mmm.

Anyway, they are just so fun. And you can see how much thought has gone into them, rather than your bog standard performance videos that too many bands seem to be knocking out these days.

Here are two of my favourites - Fantastic Day and Love Plus One.



1 comment: